Ahhh, back to the roots. Long ago I use to bake a protein cake almost every single day.
@thephysiquemechanic and I were talking and decided I would start throwing some recipes and content in his weekly newsletter, so here we are. .
@muscletech Chocolate Mint Andes Cake w/ @eatenlightened mint ice cream, @waldenfarmsinternational choc syrup, cool whip, and a few more Andes pieces. Who says healthy can’t be pretty! Presentation is everything! .
1/2 Scoops Mint Chocolate Protein(I used MuscleTech’s)
16g Coconut Flour
10g All Purpose Flour
10g Truvia(or granulated sweetner of choice)
5g Cocoa Powder
70g Greek Yogurt(I used Whole Milk Plain)
60g Unsweetened Applesauce
7g lite butter
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp mint extract
Unsweetened almond milk or other liquid to bring together if needed
10-20g depending // Andes Mint candy pieces or other choc/mix-ins “optional”
Walden Farms Chocolate Sauce “optional”
Kept this very basic and extremely quick to do as I didn’t have loads of time preparing this. I made this directly for the busy health minded dessert lover.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- Prepare your baking dish. I used a 6 inch ramekin but you could use anything you have handy.
- In one bowl sift together your dry ingredients(cocoa, flours, baking soda, baking powder, and salt). Then mix in your add ins.
- In another bowl add your butter and sugar and mix. Then add in all the rest of your wet ingredients( yogurt, vanilla, applesauce, milk)
- Pour your wet mix into your dry bowl and combine well.
- Pour your batter into your baking dish and place in the middle of oven.
- Bake for roughly 25-30 min. Bake time will vary depending on baking dish/protein/etc
- Use the toothpick test to check if cooked all the way through. Once done, remove and place on a cooling rack.
- Once cool, pop out of the baking dish and place onto the rack to finish cooling.
- Once cool, decorate however you want, slice it up and share, or wrap and freeze it to enjoy later!
- Enjoy! ‘
For added protein add in eggs, egg whites, more Greek yogurt, or even increase your protein powder/liquid ratio
To reduce the fat amount use 0% Plain Greek Yogurt, eliminate the butter and increase yogurt or applesauce slightly, leave out the Andes candies.
6 inch ramekin works really well for personal sized cakes but you could get away with breaking this up into cupcakes, a bread loaf, or any other pan you have. Just watch bake time!
Some lower calorie options for decorative toppings would be 0 calorie Chocolate Syrup from Walden Farms, low calorie ice creams like Enlightened, Halo Top, or Arctic Zero, and use lite or fat free cool whip
In preparing my pan I like to spray with a non stick cooking spray then place a piece of parchment paper on the bottom to help prevent any sticking issues.
Here are some things you might need!
MuscleTech NitroTech Whey Protein Powder, Whey Isolate and Peptides, Chocolate Mint, 4 Pound
WALDEN FARMS SYRUP CF CHOC GF, 12 OZ
Andes Creme De Menthe Baking Chips, 10 oz
Pure Mint Extract 2 oz
BetterBody Foods Organic Coconut Flour a Naturally Gluten-Free White Flour Alternative with a Slight Coconut Taste and Aroma, 1 Pound
Truvia Baking Blend Natural Sweetener 24 OZ(Pack Of 2)