I must say, I think orange doesn’t get enough credit or court time when it comes to desserts. Specially in things like cakes. I am a huge fan of orange myself. From the flavor, to the fruit, and definitely the color. Now don’t get me wrong, chocolate and orange are fantastic together but, age old flavor combo for me and orange always brings me back to a ‘dreamsickle’ flavor. That rich orange flavor mixed with that creamy vanilla milkshake flavor to make for a delectable treat. That’s where the inspiration for todays cake comes from.
Lets get started.
Tools you will need:
- 2 Bowl
- 1/2 teaspoon
- 1/4 teaspoon
- Cooling Rack
- Parchment paper (not needed)
- Non Stick Spray
Dry Cake Ingredients:
- 15g Coconut Flour
- 52g Orange Cream Lean Shake 25(Sub for vanilla protein and increase orange extract. Also add a few drops of orange food coloring
- 6g Truvia baking blend or any other granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
Wet Cake Ingredients:
- 100g Plain Greek Yogurt
- 92g Liquid Egg Whites
- 31g Unsweetened Applesauce
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla extract
- Start with 1/4 teaspoon orange extract and adjust to taste preferences. I used 1/2 teaspoon orange extract
- 20g Vanilla Protein (I used Quest)
- 28g Fat free cream cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon orange extract *optional*
- Milk/water to mix
Lets get baking!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In one bowl place all dry ingredients. Mix until combined.
- In a separate bowl place all wet ingredients. Mix until combined.
- Place dry mix into wet mix and combine well.
- Spray a small baking dish with non stick spray and line the bottom with parchment paper. It isn’t necessary but it makes removing that much easier.
- Place batter in sprayed baking dish and pop in oven on the middle rack
- Bake for roughly 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Once done place on a cooling rack for 10 min. After 10 min, remove from dish and place back on rack to finish cooling.
- Well cake is cooling, in a bowl place all frosting ingredients in and mix until well combined. Cream cheese does not have to be room temp, but it will help mix easier. Add milk/water as needed to get frosting like consistency.
- After cake is cooled, take a knife and cut in half. Place frosting over the bottom layer of the cake then cover with top half of the cake.
- Slice and enjoy!
Macros for the whole cake:
- Calories: 502
- Fat: 5.5g
- Carbs: 46.4g
- Protein: 67.5g
I hope you enjoy! Be sure to follow me on IG @the_flexible_baker and on facebook as The Flexible Baker
To finish I will leave you with a tease of a new recipe coming! Star Filled Pudding Muffins !