Hey everyone! With the holidays just around the corner I wanted to share a few tips and tricks to help you win the holidays and not put on a ton of excess weight.
1. Trim up some dishes. If a recipe ops for nuts, or full fat cream cheeses, gravy, sauces, and butters. Look for lite butters and gravys, low fat or fat free cream cheeses, greek yogurt, fat free dressings, or leave them out completely. A big one for me is using fat free cottage cheese as dressing or my salads.
2. Load up on macro friendly foods such as salads, fruits, lean proteins, and veggies. Piling your plate high with these foods will not only limit place on your plate for macro dense foods, but they will help fill you up so you have less room left for sweets.
3. Bring your own dishes. Veggie plates, fruit salads, turkey roll ups, and so many more. That way you at least have a good go to dish in a pinch if you need some snacks.
4. This one is more of a mental thing, but wearing tighter clothes will actually make you eat less because you will feel tighter in your clothes much faster than if you wore loose clothes. Mentally you will want to eat less so you are not uncomfortable in your clothes.
5. Make sure to keep your water close and stay hydrated! Staying hydrated can be key to not over eating during the holidays. Having more liquid in the system will help with hunger cravings. Also adding a bit of lemon juice to your water can help curb appetite!
6. Chew gum. Keeping the mouth busy can help take the mind off eating.
7. This gets different opinions, but I like to either fast for the day until dinner comes, or ill eat mainly protein leading up to the meal to save most of my calories for that one meal to help prevent way over doing my macros.
8. Sub out full sugar drinks for diet or lite versions to help save calories. Also do this if you are making cocktails as this will save you numerous calories.
9. If possible do some type of exercise that day just to help bring yourself into a calorie deficit.
10. Choose to be a helper! Help make food, drinks, set the table, anything that keeps you busy and helps prevent you from unneeded snacking.
11. Moderation is key. 1 cookie is fine. 20 cookies…not so much. Enjoy, but be mindful.
12. Don’t be afraid to say NO. Often times, friends and family can pressure you into eating more than you want or need to. Don’t be afraid to say no. You know you have goals in mind and are doing your best to achieve those goals. You are not being rude denying that 2nd piece of pie or extra helping of mash potatoes.
13. Don’t be a scavenger! Once you are done eating, either remove the food off of the table, or remove yourself from the table. The longer you sit there looking at goodies, the more tempted you are to start taking unneeded bites that can quickly add up!
14. Leave the leftovers. Let someone else take them home. You had your day of enjoyment, now lets get back on track. Last thing you need is a plate full of grandmas cookies sitting on the counter staring you in the face for days on end.
15. Last but not least, remember that it is the holidays, and you are allowed to indulge. Enjoy yourself, but stay reasonable. If you want 1 more cookie, or that glass of wine then do it! Obviously there is a point, were you are just destroying progress downing an entire platter of cookies by yourself, but that 1 extra cookie that will put you a bit over your macros will not derail all of your hard work!
These are just a few tips and tricks I use that I have found to help get through the holidays. I hope this helps you conquer your day!